Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ride The Rockies 2013

 
 
I've never been particularly excited to write about myself. I don't know many people who are, it's a tough process. I will labor for days over a single cover letter, trying to hone it down to express just the right tone. (And a lot of good that's done me over the past year and a half.) Maybe it has something to do with my preference for standing behind the camera instead of in front of it.

Reports and essays, pieces constructed with research, observations, and experiences are things I've always felt more comfortable and adept at producing. So, naturally, as I embark on one of the most physically challenging undertakings of my life I want to document it.

But I've come to realize that one of the main reasons I first swung my leg over my Raleigh last June, and proceeded to make it all of 5 miles up a Lakewood hill at max effort before I felt sick, was to try and somehow find myself, to find out where my next step should be. There's never really an end point for something like that, you're always evolving, but I have a feeling that Ride the Rockies will tell me as much or more about myself than I've so far been able to deduce from my post-collegiate drift experience.

As I throw myself at the southern passes of the Rocky Mountains I plan on writing about it. Of course I'll be making pictures of the scenes and the people I meet along the way and telling a story about all of that, but I'm going to challenge myself to really get down to what the experience means to me.

I doubt the person that rolls into Colorado Springs on June 15 will be the same as the one that rolled out from Telluride on June 8, and I'm excited about that.

After a week off I've begun putting on the crucial miles. Riding on the trainer has already reached the point of tedium but, you know, springtime in Colorado. I really can't complain too much about my set-up. (Speakers not pictured)

No comments:

Post a Comment